What to expect when getting a tattoo...

A couple of weeks ago I got a new tattoo. I had three already but they're pretty dinky and this one is a much better size. The new addition is on my right calf and it's beautiful! A lovely Russian doll with a beautiful face. 

Now, I could give you whole spiel about a tattoo is for life but, you know that! Just remember, whatever you choose, make sure you're 100% happy with the design. It's ok to say no if you don't like certain things. I was lucky, I fell in love as soon as I saw her little face.


I won't lie to you, tattoos hurt and anyone who says otherwise is a liar. The three other places on my body weren't too bad, the calf on the other hand, hurt like hell. 

Starting off, I felt the needles vibrate through my skin and I thought "what the hell am I doing?" then as time went on, maybe 45 minutes, my skin started getting numb and the pain was bearable.

Then the break came, it was well received until we started again and I realised the feeling had come back to my leg and the last hour and a half was horrendous. Luckily there was big bloke next to me getting a tattoo in the same place and he kept asking for numbing spray. So what if his tattoo was bigger than mine! 

By the way, numbing spray only works on already open wounds, so it won't work on skin that hasn't been tattooed, so don't think you're getting out of that pain. 

There is something so addictive about getting inked though, it's weird. I laid there and I thought I was never going to go through again and then as soon as I saw my Russian doll, I knew I was going to get another.

One thing I can tell you is to make sure you take sugary snacks and drinks - for me it makes me feel better and calms the adrenaline. 

Tattoos are uncomfortable and always make sure you look after them when they're done, keep it hydrated to stop the scabs (nice!) from peeling so you don't lose ink from the skin, otherwise it goes patchy.

Two and a half weeks later and I have a beautifully healed tattoo, I named her Tallulah because she had to have a name. Ian at Hand on Heart tattoo studio in Bradford has done an incredible job and I can't thank him enough. I felt calm before having it done, which even for the little ones I haven't felt before. 



If you're thinking of getting one, just remember, it hurts like a bitch but you'll love it!

xxx