One night in Nottingham

Hey guys!

I'm so sorry it's been such a long time since I last posted, I'm just finding my flow.

Last weekend me and my boyfriend when to see the xx at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham. It was a Christmas present and what a present it was.

We booked a room at the Park Plaza Hotel on Maid Marrion Way which is in a really good location, nice and central and only about a 10 minute walk from the train station. 

I always think a hotel lobby says a lot about what a room is going to be like and it was a very nice, clean place. A good start I would say. 

The guy at check in said the room was ready but it was going to be on the first floor which sounded a bit strange but we said it was fine. We headed up and the room was lovely, plenty of space and the bathroom was great with Elemis toiletries. I went to have a nosey out of the window and I think I understood why the check-in guy had sounded a bit sorry. Not a great view to say the least; but heyho we were only there for one night and it wasn't to stare out of the window so we were pretty easy about it.





Wisdom from the mirror
We headed out and had a look around the centre. There's a good shopping area, decent high street shops and quite a few bars. We found ourselves in a great little area which was full of quirky little vintage shops and restaurants. It was buzzing with lots of people, mainly students but families as well. 

There's a great vintage shop called Cow and I had to stop myself buying a fabulous sheepskin thigh length coat. We're not going into the right weather for it but I'll be keeping my eyes open for one next winter. 

Wandering around we stumbled across a donut shop called the Nottingham Doughnut Company which is right in the city centre and oh my god, they're the best donuts we've ever had! So good, we had to go back the next day and get another. Salted caramel and cookies and cream were our definite favourites. They were light and fluffy which is always good when it comes to these delicacies! 


Nom! Salted caramel and cookies & cream doughnuts


Once we had bimbled around a bit and thought it was time to get ready for the gig, we headed back to the hotel. 

The Motorpoint Arena is really accessible in the city centre, just a quick walk past lots of bars, which obviously we had a couple of drinks in along the way. 

I didn't know the support act, Francis and the Light, so we didn't rush to get to the arena but we caught a couple of songs which were actually really good, but we were there for the main event. 

I've been to see the xx two times previously and they are incredible every single time. I get goosebumps and to be honest, every time I hear Angels, I feel like I'm going to cry; not out of sadness but just sheer joy. Call me lame but it's an incredible song. 

I've seen this band in smaller venues in Leeds but never in an arena, I was a bit worried it was going to be too big but my god they filled the place and I don't just mean with people. The bass music filled every corner, filled every person and brought the place alive with just the three of them on stage. 

The mirror and light show behind the band was incredible to watch and added to the atmosphere. 

This is a band I will go and watch whenever I can, they have never let me down and even for my boyfriend who had never even listened to them before going to the gig really enjoyed himself. I definitely saw him swaying with the music!

Once the gig was over we went for another drink and then headed back to the hotel. The bed was comfy, the room was dark and the check out wasn't until midday the next day. We crashed out and slept like babies.

The next day, we headed to the National Videogame Arcade to kill a couple hours before the train back. At £8.50 for an adult ticket, it's maybe a bit steep, especially with all the kids in the way of the good consoles, but it does give you access all day and you can come and go as you please so I won't complain too much. There's three floors of old consoles and arcade machines, from Nintendo to the HTC vive VR, there is loads to play on, but I think it may be better during the week.


It's'a Mario

Heading back to the train, I have decided I wouldn't mind coming back to Nottingham, maybe for a night out or just for another weekend away. It's got a great vibe and I'll probably book myself in at the Kitty cafe next time to play with some caffeinated cats. 

Thanks for having us Nottingham, you've been a wonderful host. 

Do you have any recommendations for the birth place of Robin Hood?